On the morning of February 14th, the Japan International Photographic Equipment and Imaging Expo (CP+ Exhibition) announced on its official website that the CP+ 2020 exhibition originally planned to be held in Yokohama was cancelled due to the impact of the new crown pneumonia epidemic.
Officials said that taking into account the recent epidemic, it may not be possible to rule out the risk of infection of 70,000 people present during the exhibition. “Although it is regrettable, we decided to suspend the event.”
CP+ 2020 was originally planned to be held at the Pacific Yokohama Exhibition Center in Yokohama, Japan from February 27 to March 1. It is one of the world’s largest trade fairs for the photography industry.
Prior to this, in fact, a series of world-class exhibitions had been closed or postponed.
On the morning of the 13th, the Global System for Mobile Communications Association (GSMA), the organizer of the Mobile World Congress (MWC), officially announced the cancellation of the 2020 Mobile World Congress originally scheduled to be held from the 24th to the 27th of this month.
The official reason is still the epidemic. MWC, originally scheduled to be held in Barcelona from February 24th to 27th, 2020, decided not to play.
Singapore’s “Lianhe Zaobao” website reported on February 13 that this was one of the world’s largest exhibitions cancelled since the outbreak of the new coronavirus.
However, this exhibition was essentially forced to stop by exhibitors.
Since the beginning of this month, Ericsson, Nokia, LG, Nvidia, Intel, Amazon, Sony, Samsung and other large exhibitors have retired one after another. Even if the GSMA announces enhanced sanitation measures, the “recession tide” cannot be stopped.
Although the official organization of MWC stated that there are still more than 2,800 exhibitors participating as scheduled, due to the impact of the new coronavirus pneumonia epidemic, more and more technology giants have begun to reassess the risks brought by participation.
LG was the first to announce its withdrawal.
On February 5, LG first issued an announcement stating that it had decided to withdraw from MWC in consideration of the epidemic. LG said that this decision can save hundreds of LG employees from the risk of international travel. The company pointed out that LG will hold other events in the near future to release its 2020 mobile products.
In the following days, all major exhibitors announced their withdrawal from the exhibition, which forced the exhibition organizers to continue to “confess” in order to restore the lost love of the major manufacturers.
On February 5 and 7, the organizer, the Global Association for Mobile Communications Systems, contacted and issued an announcement, proposing some temporary measures, including increasing disinfection and cleaning in traffic congested areas, providing medical support on the spot, and notifying all participants to “do not shake hands” policy”.
However, this is of no practical use. Even the Barcelona government came out to endorse the safety of the exhibition, but no one took care of it. The conference is expected to bring nearly 500 million euros in revenue to the local area.
For companies that give up participating in various exhibitions, it is not without cost.
New product releases in the spring are always used by technology companies to show their muscles and open the first hurdle for a year’s performance. If you choose to give up, you will lose the Display window.
In this regard, manufacturers are also looking for other ways to Display. Although it may not be as focused as a global exhibition, it may also offset some of the losses of abandoning the exhibition.
For example, Xiaomi held a new product launch conference for Xiaomi Mi 10, which is regarded by Lei Jun as the flagship machine that Xiaomi has accumulated over the past ten years. Eventually, due to the impact of the epidemic, it did not participate in foreign exhibitions or offline conferences, but was broadcast live. The way is available.
At the beginning of the press conference, Lei Jun appeared wearing a mask. As a native of Hubei and having studied in Wuhan for four years, he choked up several times in the opening remarks.
However, Xiaomi is also facing the problem of production capacity. Lu Weibing, vice president of Xiaomi and president of China, revealed that currently Xiaomi offline stores have only opened 20%-30%, so the distribution channels of Xiaomi 10 will be mainly online for the time being.
However, the results seem to be good so far. On February 14, Xiaomi Mi 10 launched its first sale on online platforms such as Xiaomi Mall, JD.com, Tmall, Suning.com, and at the same time, it was simultaneously sold in nearly 800 core offline stores. According to the latest information released on the official Weibo of Xiaomi mobile phone, Xiaomi Mi 10’s first release in one minute, the online full platform sales exceeded 200 million yuan.
Perhaps, after a shutdown like this, various manufacturers will find their own alternative methods of muscle display during this special period, and even eventually “no longer exhibit.”
At the E3 game exhibition that year, game companies all had their own display channels, and they had to shrink into a small exhibition without going to the exhibition.